Saturday, July 11, 2009

Guatemala







I haven't done much blogging about our trip here. I posted alot of pictures on facebook while we were there and kept people updated with my statuses. This was an amazing trip for our family. When we were in process with Isabella, we did not get to leave the hotel with her on our visits. Until this trip,we had not been able to experience Guatemala, nor did we get to see its beauty. I always felt a disconnect with Bella's birthcountry... until this trip. It is no secret to those that know us, that we feel a pull and a call to work full-time with orphans in another country. While we are still not sure where or when that will be, we are more convinced it WILL happen since making this trip.

Once we returned, I tried to put it into words when we were asked by people,"so how was your trip?" It was hard to describe. I mean, we saw our daughter's birth country, we ministerd and loved on some precious children and their families, and we made some long-lasting friendships with people that have become like family to us. God was with us, worked through us and most importantly, worked IN us. But Jeff summed it up best when he told someone, "Our family was different in Guatemala." WOW!! That is so very true.

One of the biggest things that occurred is the bonding that happened between Jake and Bella. They bonded more on this trip than they did in the year and a half Bella has been home. It was supernatural and amazing to watch. My son was a diferent boy. He is a great kid, with a big heart and a desire to live a life that pleases God. He truly has a heart after God. He came into his own on this trip. He was walking in an annointing that was amazing. I truly think he will be a missionary or pastor one day. In watching him with the people in the village of Pueblo Nuevo, I saw the beginning of God doing something in him. I also realized that Jeff and I have an awesome responsiblity to lead him and guide him and help him find his way to God's will for his precious life.

I watched Jeff as he tore down walls that a teenage girl of the village had built around her heart. None of us on that team could have done what he did with her. As I watched him teach her how to make an oragmi star out of paper and do it without knowing a lick of Spanish, I fell in love with him all over again. I watched him while we were at a special-needs orphanage and witnessed a very special little girl steal his heart. I watched in awe as he touched her life and she touched his. Jeff was a different person on this trip. It was amazing to watch him.

I know this post seems to be all over, but I am trying to convey how this trip truly changed our family. I liked being there. It felt right. It felt like home. It felt like we belonged. I think why all of it felt so perfect is because we, as a family, were walking in the calling God has for us. Which just shows me more than before we left, we HAVE to get back to doing what He has called us to do. We are seeking His will and waiting for His voice. Over the next few posts, I will post pics from the week there. I hope you enjoy.



















5 comments:

  1. I think I am going to use Jeff's line over and over. Now, I can answer people when they ask.

    It was a trip that changed so much of us. I am already longing to return. But, watching our children there was amazing, wasn't it? The girls have started saying over the last few days "when we go back to Guatemala........" My heart melts. They have the calling to go back as much as I do. Now, I just need to work a bit more on their Dad....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I don't know you, but I happend upon your blog and we too have a daughter adopted from Guatemala. What is it about that place, everyone I know who has really been there(we were there for 7 weeks)has such a passion to go back?! We too feel called to work with orphans and actually have a friend who is in the begining stages of starting an orphanage in Guate! I just thought I would post a comment and say YAY God for allowing us to have this awesome adventure called adoption and for the adventures that await us for being obedient to his call!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you had an amazing trip. I so get what you are saying about your family being different on the trip. When there are less distractions around you, it's so much easier to focus on what God wants from you in the moment and hear the still small Voice that calls to you, don't you think?

    I've chosen a Bible study for the blog group, by the way. I think you were one of the people who said they were interested in joining in. I'm excited to get started with it. I have contacted the author to see if there is a way for us to do an on-line session with her or something. I'll post all the details when I get it worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Amanda,
    It was really good to hear from you, it has been a long time. Your daughter is beautiful and I can't believe how much Jake has grown. I'm glad to see that God is working in your lives and that your desires are coming to past. Tell Jeff I said hello and I'll try and read your blog to keep updated with your lives.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. God, travel, family, bonding, a love for orphans...good stuff. Stuff that matters most.

    Kimmie
    mama to 7
    one homemade and 6 adopted

    ReplyDelete